Thinking about buying your own hair clippers? You’re in the right place to find the perfect one for your needs. Before 1919, when Leo J. Wahl invented the first electric hair clippers, cutting hair was time-consuming with a “one size fits all” style. Times have changed, and with more than enough to choose from for the British men, purchasing your own clippers has benefits.
In today’s DIY world, cutting your own hair beats waiting your turn in your local barber or any other hairdresser shop across Great Britain. Hair clippers have come a long way, offering different settings and attachments that make you a barber in your own right. Stop throwing your money away and purchase your own hair clippers.
Our selection of the best hair clippers for men available in the UK market in 2019!
Top 3 Cordless Hair Clippers
Top 3 Electric / Corded Men’s Hair Clippers for 2019
Cordless Hair Clippers
1 - The Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper HC5450/83 with DualCut Technology
Top Features for the Philips Series 5000
- Can be used with or without the cord for more versatility and convenience.
- A one hour charge will give 90 minutes of cutting time.
- Equipped with 3 beard comb attachments of different lengths. Makes beard upkeep a breeze.
- The blade head is removable for easy cleanup and does not need oil. Just run it under warm water.
- Comes with a hard case for protection when not in use. This makes it a great travel companion.
- Also comes with one adapter, a cleaning brush, and a user manual. Offers a special blue comb for children.
For a sharp, fast cut with clippers that last for years, the Philips hair clippers are a top choice among consumers. The DualCut Technology will cut through any texture hair twice as fast with self-sharpening titanium blades. The zoom wheel makes it simple to choose and lock in the length and offers 24 settings. Remove the comb and get a 0.5mm for clean edges and a smooth hairline.
2 - The Philips DIY Hair Clipper QC5570/13 with 180 Degree Rotation
A Few of the Favourite Features
- The zoom wheel has 13 length settings. Located beneath the head, it’s easy to set the length from 0.5mm to 15mm.
- The whole clipper is waterproof, making it easy to clean the entire device instead of just the head. A battery light blinks orange when ten minutes are left, and glows white when fully charged.
- Comes with two combs. One precision comb for 0.5mm cuts and a big comb for longer hair.
- Other accessories include a charger, a cleaning brush, oil, and a guarantee pamphlet.
The 180-degree rotating head makes this Philips cordless hair clipper easy to use at any angle. With a one hour charge, the clippers cut for up to 60 minutes and can be used with or without the cord. The rounded edges of the combs and blade make for a safer haircutting experience. Forgot to charge it? No problem. A ten-minute charge gives ten minutes of cutting time.
3 - Philips Series 9000
Take a Look at the Features
- Can be used with or without the cord for a more convenient and versatile experience.
- Has an easy to read, bright touch LED display that indicates how much battery power is left and gives feedback on selected length.
- 400 length settings from 0.5 to 400 mm.
- 120 minutes of cordless use.
- One hour to fully charge.
- Titanium blades for durability and turbo boost when reaching thicker hair for a perfect cut every time.
Cordless hair clippers are great for traveling and using in places without an electrical outlet. The powerful NiMh battery lasts up to 90 minutes after a 1-hour charge. Being manufactured in the United States gives them a superior quality with the latest technology. The downside: some reviews on the internet claim this machine is not suitable for shorter hair, and also too bulky for body hair. If that’s what you’re looking for, you might look somewhere else.
Discover the top 3 electric (corded mains powered) hair clippers
1 - The Remington HC5035 ColourCut Hair Clipper
Have a Look at Some of the Features
- Weighs 0.8grams, making these clippers lightweight, easy to handle, and perfect for travelling.
- The self-sharpening, steel blades last for years with proper maintenance.
- Comes with nine different coloured attachments, which means never choosing the wrong blade. Sizes range from 1.5mm to 25mm for different lengths.
- Also included is a pair of scissors, one styling comb, a cleaning brush, and a neck brush.
Remington has made cutting hair from the comfort of home a true 21st-century experience with the Colourcut hair clippers. The comfort tip blades are designed to cut hair of all textures quickly to the desired length with zero pulling. An easy to remove blade system means a quick clean up by holding it under warm running water.
2 - The Wahl 100 Series Mains Hair Clipper Set
A Sample of the Wahl 100 Series Mains Features
- Ergonomic design offers firm yet comfortable gripping while cutting at different angles.
- Included are four comb guides for different lengths. The attachments come in 1.3mm to 13mm to achieve the desired style.
- The thumb-operated taper lever makes it easy to switch to a different length for cleaner edges and tidier necklines.
- Also comes with a pair of styling scissors, one barber comb, oil, and a cleaning brush.
These clippers have a quiet yet powerful motor that cuts the noise to a bare minimum while in use. The high carbon steel blades stay sharp for years, cutting any textured hair with ease to the desired length. For the price, these clippers pay for themselves with one use. Works great on beards.
3 - The Wahl ChromePro Mains Hair Clipper Set
Here Is a Sample of the Features
- The taper level adjusts with a simple touch of the thumb, allowing for closer edging and cleaner necklines without an attachment comb.
- Comes with 13 combs for different styles and lengths. Sizes range from 0.8mm to 25mm for any desired cut. There are right and left ear combs, a flat top comb, pocket comb and a barber comb.
- These clippers use a precision grinding technology and Powerdrive system for smoother cutting while staying sharp for years.
- Comes with a blade guard for protection when not in use. Also has a pair of scissors, blade oil, and a carry case. The cable tidy is great for storage, and a barber cape keeps hair off clothing.
The Wahl ChromePro comes with an instructional DVD that teaches all the tricks of the trade for quality cuts, and instructions on how to use the clippers. Works smoothly, and glides through the hair without the need to go over the same spot more than once. Cuts all textures and the thickest hair with ease.
What to Look for When Buying Hair Clippers
Choosing the right clippers for you is a matter of asking yourself a few questions. Once you have a basic idea of what you need, the choice is easier to get the perfect set of clippers without breaking the bank.
1. What are the clippers going to be used for? If you shave your head, you don’t need clippers with several different combs for various lengths.
2. Will you be using them for a family with children? Many clippers come with kid-friendly attachments and exciting colours.
3. Do you need one that’s waterproof? Most clippers can be cleaned by running the head under warm water, but some are completely waterproof.
4. Are the clippers going to be used to trim a beard? If you don’t have a beard, you might not need all the different beard attachment combs.
5. Do you have thick hair or dense curly hair? Make sure to check out which clippers say they cut any texture and even the thickest of hair.
Answer these five questions for a general idea of what to look for before purchase. With thousands of clippers on the market, narrowing it down to one is easier if you know what to look for. You might also be interested in learning how different are they from trimmers.
Care and Maintenance
Taking care of your hair clippers will save you money, time, and the convenience of cutting your hair at home for years into the future with some tender loving care. Basic care and maintenance are as easy as 1, 2, 3. If you fail to take care of them, the clippers could break down way before they should. Follow these three steps for a longer lasting product.
1. Clean the blades frequently. Most clippers come with a blade brush, and you should clean it after each haircut. Leaving little hairs behind will eventually clog up the blades.
2. Use the clipper on clean, dry hair.
3. Oil the blades. A dab will do ya with the oil. Use small drops, don’t squeeze the bottle. One small drop on each corner, one in the middle, and one on the teeth. Turn the clippers on for a few seconds, then wipe off any excess oil. Some machines such as the Philips Series 9000 doesn’t require oil to function.
That’s it. Doing these three things after each use will keep your clippers working in tip-top shape. For the handheld body of the clippers, you can wipe it down with a clean, damp cloth. If you have one that is waterproof, you can run the whole thing under warm water. Once the clippers are dry, store them out of the way or return them to their stand.
Can I use them in the shower?
If the clippers are waterproof, yes you can. If it does not clearly state on the box that the clippers are waterproof, then do not use them in the shower.
Does the hair clipper collect the hair?
Do they come with a warranty?
Most clippers come with a warranty. If you care for them properly and don’t drop them onto a hard surface, they will last for years. But if something does happen, you can contact the manufacturer for information.
Are the cordless batteries replaceable?
Yes. Contact the manufacturer for information.
Top Brands available in the UK
Wahl – Founded in 1919 by Leo J. Wahl, the company is an established provider of quality grooming products. It was the first company to launch a vacuum clipper in 1965.
Remington – Best known for its grooming products, this company also markets cutting-edge epilators for women, razors for men’s shaving among others.